Thursday, October 22, 2009

PBS Nerd

I'll admit it.  I watch more than an occasional show on PBS.  If that makes me a nerd, so be it.  As a mom, I have always appreciated their children's programming, but as I have gotten older (and wiser) I really enjoy their adult programming as well.  Princess Maren always gives me a well practiced eye roll as soon as Curious George is over, " the adult shows are on now, Mom" like that should preclude them to change their programming.

Last winter they had the whole Jane Austen series on Sunday nights and it was must see TV - well at least for me- for about 6 weeks running.  No commercials.  Perfect.  Plus living where we do we can get the Iowa signal and the South Dakota signal but they are about an hour apart, so if I missed something, I could just watch that part an hour later.

So the other night I had it on while the girls were doing some catch-up homework.  They had both been sick this week, and a classical concert came on and this guy was conducting.



Basically, I just had it on for background noise, but Gustovo Dudamel is pretty darn fun to watch.  Definitely not your stereotypical conductor material.  The hair, the dimples, the hands, the expressions. Go check him out on YouTube when you get a chance.  When I think conductor, I think of Lawerence Welk. He is definitely not Lawerence Welk. In a good way. Then I open up the Captain's Newsweek and there he is again in a little article near the back of the magazine.  All the good stuff is in the back of Newsweek if you ever want to know.

I am not a huge fan of classical music, but can appreciate watching, and in this case listening to, someone who absolutely loves what they do.  It's pretty fun. Gotta love that PBS.

No comments: