Sunday, July 5, 2009

Firecracker and Baby Blesser

Let's just say about five years ago today - give or take a day (sorry, was too busy to get a post up yesterday) I worked the night shift and I was 8 months pregnant. Let's just say that I had a patient who was coming off drugs, pulling out her IV's, dropping her blood pressure, trying to get out of her ICU bed, and calling me the devil all at once. Let's just say that I left work thinking I got run over by a Mac truck, so went to OB to get things checked out. Let's just say that I was dilated to a 5 and having regular contractions about 3 weeks before I should have. And, let's just say that the Captain was out flying, my mom is very squeamish as the site of blood, and my older brother predicts, "you're gonna have a Firecracker Baby." Thanks, Don.


Turns out, all this is true and Don was right as he so often annoyingly is. It is all his fault. First I snorted at him and told him - get real, the baby wasn't due for another 3 weeks and would you just leave my room now so I can get some sleep. But, Maren never has been a patient child, and she arrived at 10:55 that July 4th morning weighing a very healthy 7 pounds 8 ounces. Sure enough, she was a little sparkler. The Captain had made it home through the valiant efforts of his company. They were all very excited. Mom was very happy he made it. Bloody show is not her thing. Marissa, was all sweet and so proud of her new baby sister. And many thanks go to my night nurse that took pity on me and let me sleep the night before without the bleep, bleeping, fetal monitor on and took it off. Bless her baby deliverin' heart. I never slept so well as I did that night. So all is well that ends well.

Maren and I spent her first 4th of July watching fireworks and "O Brother Where Art Thou?" from the penthouse suite on the 9th floor OB department at Mercy Medical Center. She is my Firecracker Baby, in every sense of the word. She is a sparkler too. She can flash that grin at you and make your day. And all her diva-ness aside, she has a very gentle nurturing heart. When she sees a baby, she has to touch him or her- gravely and in all seriousness, making eye contact, then cocks her head to the side and smiles - like she's giving it her blessing. She blessed one at the pool, at the library, and then again at Bible School the other day. It's her thing -passing out baby blessings.

I think she thinks all the fireworks are just for her. For everyone else, hope you had a happy and wonderful, and safe 4th of July.

Happy Birthday Princess! Momma and Daddy love you so much!

1 comment:

The B Keeper said...

Happy Birthday to Miss Sparkle !