Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Project

Do you ever look at words and think the spelling looks totally wrong?  Is that how you spell project?  It just looks wrong.  Anyway, I finally completed a little DIY project endeavor. 


Here's our sorry little water-stained, nail polished, too many hot pots left on it, cloroxed, had  it since the year we married table top.  Pitiful.


The thing was, I didn't mind the legs and the antiqued finish on the rest of the table and it's  actually still very sturdy.  It's a little wider than most tables, and I liked that too as far as having company and serving family style goes.

After a little trial and quite a bit of error in the form of Polyshades and going against the grain, (eh Captain?) we were redeemed by some custom mixed Old Masters gel stain and Cowboy's Momma (who happens to work for Old Masters AND live across the street). The result was worth it!  I love my table top now more than I did when we first bought it.  Seriously.

Now came my next quandry.  What to do with the chair seats?  Originally they were the same stain color as the table top. Minus the water stains and nail polish but plus some ground in strawberry jam, spaghetti sauce, and other unidentifiable remnants of past meals. Honestly, after what we had to go through to get the table top color, I knew there was no way I was gonna get close to matching that.

The thought came to mind to upholster them.  I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on this though.  The M's still have their share of spillage - OK - the Captain and I do, too.  But, one day at Walmart I found these chair pads. Two bucks a piece. Already cut to fit.  Sold. Figured I could find some cheap fabric on E-bay.


Then I went to Target a couple days later and found this.  It was a duvet cover but I loved the fabric color and I liked the feel of it and it was serioulsly marked down.  See that nice little red sticker in the corner? Love little red stickers.


Sold! I had more than enough fabric to cover six chairs and the backing of the duvet cover will make a nice coordinating table cloth.


I gave them a couple good coats of Scotchguard, but if they do get hopelessly yuck, I didn't spend enough to feel horribly bad about it.  They aren't perfect, but in the words of my nephew Tyeson - I "wike" them.



For about $80 and a little joy and pain ( ooo, what a great 90's dance tune! - sunshine and rain) we got us a good looking dining room table again.  I wike it. I wike it a-wot.

7 comments:

Baloney said...

Nice! You've been busy!!
I've been missing your blog lately. :(

Shutterbug Mama said...

love it!

Mrs. E said...

I wuv it! You're the woman if you could pull this off!

White and Rust said...

It looks much better! Fantastic job

Jen T said...

It looks great!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Amazing redo. I love everything about it. Saw you at FFF.

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Beautiful transformation! I love it ~